This 1920’s, local council heritage listed cottage is located on the ridge line at Palm Beach, north of Sydney. Straddling two blocks, the site has an eastern aspect facing the Pacific Ocean on a steep slope providing a very private reserve.
The project involved refurbishment and repair of the original timber and stone cottage, new accommodation, pool, terraces and a separate pavilion. The basement of the existing cottage, built of rustic sandstone in a typical 1920’s geometric design provides sleeping areas.The refurbished upper level, with original black stained timber walls, accommodates new kitchen and living areas.
The additions continue the established character by building along the contours of the site and incorporating original materials with contemporary variations in detail.
The bushland setting is maintained by minimising the scale and bulk of new work, and by the introduction of a delicate yet sturdy pavilion accessed via a bridge spanning the pool.
This ‘tree house’ pavilion with its scissor truss legs allowed the building to be gently placed among the trees with minimal impact upon the natural rock shelves and established Banksias. The materials used provide subtle telltales as to the layers of history added to this listed building.
The rustic, robust character of these early houses is reflected in the exposed structural tectonics of the pavilion addition.